Monday, August 18, 2008

Dinner and Crazy Teens


So, I was at the mall tonight for dinner with an old friend from high school. There were a table of four 16 yr oldish girls chatting away at the booth a few feet away. Watching them carefully disect eachother and what each boy in the room was doing and who was looking at who reminded me just how far I've come.


I very well may be a bit of an outlier on this but I was a crazy teen in high school. No, I didn't drink or do drugs but wow was I "special". I claimed to be in love with numerous boys after just one date. I analyzed and re-analyzed every potential romantic encounter. After one particular date, I stopped at a good friend's house where she lived with her PARENTS and asked to borrow a blanket at about midnight to snuggle in the park with a particular fella. It was our first date...I thought he was the one. I'm pretty sure I was not supposed to be in the park at midnight.


Realizing now that I may have a girl makes me nervous. I was such a handful - snotty, outspoken, all knowing, princess, supreme ruler of the Wiard house. At one point my mom was locked in her room asking for 5 minutes of peace as I screamed through the door. Oh the joys of teen girls.


Now, my mom and I are best of friends. We take trips and laugh and give eachother advice. I never back her into a room and make her beg for mercy. But still....


So, basically, each night as you sit by your beds please pray for a boy. (And, Carrie - while you're at it put those water bottles away)

5 comments:

Stanfill said...

hey-i put the water bottles away-
-when i was in memphis for the weekend a little while ago, my mom and i were talking about that same thing. teenage and even pre-teen girls ARE so dramatic. it's hilarious to think about.
when i was 12, i wanted to hang out with dee dee one afternoon. mom said no for whatever reason-probably had been hanging out too much and needed to have "family" time (barf-is what i thought at the time-i'm sure). we argued, and i said those horrible 3 words any parent never wants to hear from their child, "i hate you". what a horrible daughter i was. i ran to my room and slammed the door. i felt really bad about what i said (not bad enough to apologize)-but (this is so embarrassingly funny) i popped in my michael bolton cassette (yes-i know) and played "how am i supposed to live without you". i imagined what it would be like if my mom died and cried and cried. my mom laughed at this story, while we were reminiscing and said, "geez, you were dramatic back then. what was wrong with you?" i love it. i wish for you to have a girl. it'll be awesome!

Stanfill said...

by the way, was that comment long enough for you

Stephanie said...

Currently, Connor is the drama queen in our house. I imagine Chloe will catch up some day, but right now it's the boy who is moody and says things like "I hate you!" while Chloe smiles and is entirely pleasant. I'm sure it will change when they hit the preteen years. I guess what I'm saying is, boy or girl, some of it is just going to be hard.

Stephanie said...

I do love the Sanchez Daily, although I think we have concepts of the word "daily."

Stephanie said...

That should say "different concepts of the word daily." Feel free not to take me seriously, what with the typos and all.